an old recipe I tried.
I originally used this recipe on chix wings, and they are a hit at potluck parties. I tried the marinade on a whole bird, and baked some veggies with the marinade.
Roast Chicken (spicy Thai style)
- Whole chicken (a 1.5 kg chicken will take 55 minutes; 1.6kg chicken - 1 hour; 1.8 kg, 65-70 minutes) (remove head)
- Chopped garlic (5-6 cloves)
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder
- soya sauce or fish sauce to taste
- black pepper (more, more, more)
- chili padi to your liking
- chopped corriander root (you can keep the leaves for the roasted veggie. What you need here is the section of root near base where it is still green up to just before you reach the wiggly root area) (for a whole chicken, 3 sections of it will be nice)
- To prepare the marinade, mix all the wet & dry ingredients well
- Pat marinade all over (and inside) chicken (the turmeric powder leaves a yellow pungent stain on your hands, so to avoid that, slip your hands into plastic bags or gloves)
- For best results, leave overnight (in a plasstic bag, and move contents around at least once or twice)
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees
- Roast the chicken (a 1.5 kg chicken will take 55 mins, 1.6kg - 1 hr, 1.8kg - 65-70mins)
- Check on chicken midway through, turn over***
- To check for doneness, prick right through and meat juice should be clear (if pink, chicken is not done yet)
- Enjoy ! If you like, squeeze lemon juice over, just before serving.
Pan Roasted Vegetables, with Lemons